Tabasmi Paul Majumdar
Tabashmi Paul Majumder, a budding dancer with a promising track record, took to dance at an early age. She has been keeping on her basic training & advance training in Kathak for the last 25 years under the guidance of Dr. Malabika Mitra, one of the greatest exponents of India today on Jaipur Gharana & Luckhnow Gharana. Presently she is in advance training in Kathak under the guidance of guru Pdt. Rajendra Kumar Gangani,one of the greatest exponent of India on Jaipur style from 2014. Tabasmi has also got the experience of the individual styles of Pdt Birju Maharaj ji, and Guru Kumudini Lakhia Ji.
With dedication and riyaz Tabasmi has already acquired command on both Nritta and Nritya aspect of Kathak with speed & clarity in foot work and execution of the bols. As an young Kathak dancer her solo performances are well acclaimed by both critics and connoisseurs.
She is majorly known as a rising kathak exponent but has also shown her remarkable talent in Rabindranrittya. She took Rabindranrittya lesson under the supervision of Prasenjit Biswas for last 20yrs. And learning Uday Shankar Style under the guidance of Shree Jaydeep Palit.Tabasmi’s first graceful appearance on stage in this genre began with “Bhawaanipore Baikali Association” s programme “Thou hast made me endless” in 2013 at Science City Auditorium. Since then she has shown a great deal of promise throught her Rabindranrittya performances. After that again she performed in “Baikali” arranged programme “Jibonsmriti” at Nazrul Tirtha, “World Voyage” at Tolly Club,”Choy Ritu Je Nritte Mate” at Kalamandir etc. From the year 2017 she has became a regular artist of “Rabindra Janmotsav” arranged by West Bengal Govt. Information and Cultural Affairs in Rabindrasadan at 25se Baisakh on the Occasion of Rabindranath Tagore”s birth day.
Apart from her succession in Rabindranrittya she has explored other dance genre as well. In 2008 under Kolkata Doordarshan’s supervision she has presented Sri Sri Durga Vandana ( A hymn to Goddess Durga). Hopefully shee will keep on gracing stages with her illuminating performances.
She won National Scholarship from Ministry Of Culture,Govt of India.She secured 2nd position in Kalashram Kathak Contest2017,Regional level(kolkata),2nd postion in Seniour Kathak Competition organized by Rajya Sangeet Academy,3rd position in The Doverlane Music Conference. She has been awarded with “Sangeet Kalaratna” Fron Matri Udbodhan Ashram ,Patna, “Nritya Patiyashi” from Odisha Art and Culture Foundation,Bhubaneswar. In 2012 She was choosen for “Swarnachal Makar Samman” at Bhubaneswar.
She is graded artist of Kolkata Doordarshan from 2013, and empanel artist of ,IRCEN & SPICMACAY
She has performed in many festivals of India including Udayshankar Nritya Utsav organized by West Bengal State Music Academy and Wes Bengal Information and Cultural Affairs ;Nritya Katha organized by Jailal Academy, Kolkata ; Prativa Utsav , Ranchi. organized by EZCC, Rain FEstiva;, Bhubaneswar ; Naadanerajanam, Tirupati; Pallav Utsav, Mysore; Stars of Tomorrow,Kolkata; 59th Annuual Conference of Uttarpara Sangeet Chakra; Ekalavya festival,Bhubaneswar; ICCR,Horizon Series,Pune; India International Centre,New Delhi; Indradhanush Dilli,by SUNAINA,New Delhi; Makar Utsav,Bhubaneswar; Gurupurnima Mahotsav,Patna; Nrithyathi by Navaneetham Cultural Trust ,Trissur; Dhara Shree Radha Festival by Odisha Art and Culture Foundation,Bhubaneswar; Spring Festival by Music Circle,Rourkela; Parmpara series 2018 by Angan Foundation; Bemohana Dance Festival,Bhubaneswar; Celebrating The World of Dance by Darpana, Ahmedabad;Uttarpara Dance Festival; Behala Classical Music Conference,Kolkata;Nikhil Bharat Banga Sahittya Sanmelan,Central Conference,Jharkhand;Shrayan of Kolkata;
She has also performed group choreography under direction of her Guru DR. Malabika Mitra in different festivals of national level including Kathak Mahotsav; Bishnupur Utsav; Konark Dance Festival; Ananya Festival,New Delhi; Barbati Festival,Cuttack; Hazar Duari Utsav,Murshidabad; International Craft Fair,Surajkund,Hariana; Sarang Dev Samaroh,Aurangabad; Uday Shankar Dance Festival,Kolkata, A Classical Evening ,By EXIM BANK,Indo African Project,New Delhi; Parv Bharatiyam Festival By EZCC and Ministry Of Culture,Govt Of India
· Tabasmi’s dedicated approach and sincerity was visible throughout her performance.She is a balanced combination of Lucknow & Jaipur Gharana of kathak dance style- STAR OF MYSORE
· Tabasmi’s kathak was totally different from the usual fare the Delhi audience are used to- By Smt.Manjari Sinha,-THE STATESMAN,NEW DELHI
· Tabasmi started with vandana to the Goddess in her benevolent and evil destroying moods, straight way established a well finished dancer.In the Teen Taal Nritta,it was heartening to see a dancer taking her time over the that portion ,enjoying it, rather than making this minimal start with it’s very subtle aesthetics just a passing phase-which dancers today are often won’t to do-By Smt Leela Venkat Raman-THE HINDU, NEW DELHI.
· Tabasmi”s footwork and expressions of “Draupadi Vastraharan” was really remarkable-Bartaman,Kolkata
· The stirring performance by Tabasmi who has emerged as one of the promising star of future ,her performance mesmerized the audience.-THE STATESMAN,KOLKATA
· Tabasmi had the audience completely absorbed in the concluding piece,a Meera Bhajan,”Hari Tum Haro” with her skillful and natural abhinayas.She engaged the audience with her portrayal of “Draupadi Vastraharan”Avatar & “ Gajendra Mokhsha”.Her skillful portrayal of the deceitful “Shakuni” and the defeated “Dharmaputra” were memorable .She brought smiles on the faces on the audience and fortified their faith in the new generation of artists that the new found gems have the promise to shine brighter- By Supriya Rajan- Narthaki